Compact Type Remelt Plant for Contaminated Scrap using latest Melting Technology
Franz Niedermair, MD, Hertwich Engineering, Austria
Track: BILLET PROCESS AND EQUIPMENT - Equipment
ABSTRACT --- Hertwich Engineering has developed and commissioned a revolutionary
Scrap Remelt Plant with much success. The term compact refers to a remelt plant of
compact design, which comprises all production steps, from scrap charging to finished
billet, into one combined, automated production process. The term revolutionary comes to
mind since this installation meets all relevant requirements for a modern recycling facility,
- Fully automatic charging.
- Large-scale avoidance of the emission of dioxins by application of an adequate
combustion plus flue gas-cooling regime.
- Utilization of the inherent energy of gasified hydrocarbons for reducing fuel
- Combination of gasification, metal preheat, and melting process in one single
- Minimization of metal losses at the melting process.
- Mnimization of manpower requirement and avoiding shredding or baling of scrap.
Special accessory: Electromagnetic pumping and magneto-hydrodynamic (MHD) melting
of swarf and light gauge scrap.
Essentially the remelt plant consists of the following:
- Combined furnace charging and skimming machine, fully automated
- Three chamber melting and casting furnace
- Horizontal DC Casting
- Continuous Homogenizing
- Special cooling station and exit, plus sawing.
© Extrusion Technology for Aluminum Profiles Foundation (ET Foundation). All rights reserved. No part of The Proceedings may be reproduced in any form without the express written permission of the ET Foundation.